Transition year is a time of learning skills outside the classroom.
This week long cookery course has been specially created for transition year students.
What will happen?
Students will learn a variety of skills and cover a range of topics both in demonstration and hands-on sessions.
In one busy week, students will learn how to make homemade bread, jam, soups, yummy starters, main courses, desserts, biscuits and even a cake or two plus how to make butter and yoghurt from our own Jersey cow’s milk and cream.
Students will also have a guided educational tour around our organic farm, gardens and greenhouse. They will also have the opportunity to learn about the farm and herb and wild foods on the Organic farm.
The week will be guided by our expert tutors and you will come away with a repetoire of recipes to use at home or cook for friends and family.
Each student will receive a Ballymaloe Cookery School apron.
We do not have accommodation available at the cookery school unless the student is accompanied by an adult but there is plenty of accommodation nearby.
This course is subsidised by Ballymaloe Cookery School.
Here is an example day from last years course.
Tuesday Afternoon Demo - Wednesday Morning Cooking
Learn how to lay a table in dining room (1 teacher supervising each table)
- Egg, Tomato and Basil, Tarragon or Chervil Salad
- Devilled Egg Mayonnaise
- • How to make Homemade Mayonnaise
- • How to boil or hard-boil eggs
- • How to make shortcrust pastry
- • How to line a flan ring
- Quiche Lorraine
- Cherry and Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil, Lemon & Olive Oil Dressing
- Cherry Tomato, Boccancini & basil skewer
- Traditional Greek Salad with Marinated Feta (serve in pitta breads)
- New Seasons Potatoes (serve with mayonnaise)
- Mini Potato Tortillas with Garlic Mayonnaise
- Corrie’s Cupcakes with various icings (Orange Buttercream Icing; Dark Chocolate Icing; Chocolate Buttercream Icing)
- Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Butter Cream
- Mendiants and Chocolate Lollipops
Terms and Conditions
All bookings for a course or event at Ballymaloe Cookery School are subject to our standard Terms and Conditions.