The idea has somehow developed that it is difficult to make butter, cheese, yoghurt and other dairy products at home. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Sign up for this morning course (which includes a light lunch after the demonstration) and you will come away knowing how to make a long list of delicious dairy products including homemade butter, yoghurt, cottage cheese, coeur a la crème, labneh, paneer, and a simple farmhouse cheese. You’ll also discover how added flavour can be achieved with fresh herbs and fruit.
Butter and cheese making is definitely one of those simple but deeply satisfying kitchen crafts not only that deserves to be resurrected but can also provide additional income or a vibrant business. Students who would like to learn how to milk a cow can join us at 8.15am (please let us know you're on your way though!) when we milk our Jersey cows and separate the milk and cream
“I was really impressed with the whole process, Darina got stuck in and all the other course participants looked after us very well. I learned loads and was off the following day making my yoghurt.” Student feedback
What you’ll learn about
- Understand the process of Buttermaking and Cheesemaking.
- How to make a simple dripped youghurt cheese at home.
- The importance of sourcing the best ingredients for the best results
- Students who would like to learn how to milk a cow can join us at 8.15am (please let us know you're on your way though!) when we milk our Jersey cows and separate the milk and cream
- A demonstration session, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques.
- A light lunch is provided at the end of the demonstration.
Good to know
• A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
• Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
• We run this course several times a year, varying the recipes.
Terms and Conditions
All bookings for a course or event at Ballymaloe Cookery School are subject to our standard Terms and Conditions.